Everyone was living normally but in December 2019 we heard of a new disease known as "Coronavirus". Little did we know that it would be too dangerous that the world would shut down totally because of how it has affected the whole world. The global spread of this disease is keeping people isolated at home. Most of the world is on lockdown, and in the places that aren't completely locked down, people are advised to stay at home.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared overall emergency and advised people to stay at home avoiding unnecessary interactions and gatherings. Not only malls and restaurants are closed but organizations have closed their offices and advised the employees to work from home. Because of this pandemic, our work mode has changed, and businesses are switching to, Work from Home (WFH) or remote working policies to limit the spread of this disease. The COVID-19 virus has created panic and not only the employees, but the technical staff have also shifted to this new mode of working. It might seem that working from home is all fun but there are many cons as well.
While Work from Home might not be new for some, but this switch to remote working, digital connection only, conference calls, video conferencing is new to many. If you are new to the work from home mode, whether due to this pandemic or because you have managed to find a home-based job, you will need to change a few of your habits and routines to make this working from home efficient.
Some tips for working efficiently from home
Efficiently working from home can be a challenge for most of the people. There are lots of distractions, less communication and less accountability in working from home than when working in the office. But every problem has a solution, right? There are many ways to keep yourself motivated and work productively even from home.
Whether you work from home every day, for a few days or even if you are just working from home till you recover from an illness, these tips will help you to get your work done efficiently.
- Fix Regular Work Hours: This is the first step for being productive while working from home. Setting yourself consistent hours keeps you accountable to yourself and to your boss. When deciding a time for your work keep in mind that when your boss needs you, when you must communicate with coworkers or customers, and at what time of the day you are most productive.
- Keep your work and personal time separate: Make sure to keep your work time and personal time separate as it will help you stay productive while at work, and will reduce stress when not working.
- Workflow plan is important: To be more productive you need to smartly plan your workday. Before you start working, make sure to prioritize what is more important. Make sure to have a little break to make your mind fresh.
- Dress up like you are at work: Even if you don’t have to interact with anyone, dress up properly. Take a shower and dress up. This way you can let your brain know that it is time to work, not a time for relaxation, this way you can become more energetic and motivated. Sweatpants and T-shirts might be comfortable but will make you feel lazy and unmotivated.
- Create an office environment: It might feel comfortable working from couch or bed, but this can lower your productivity. Always try to work with a desk or chair to let your brain know that it’s time to work, not to relax.
- Make sure to sit alone: Set boundaries for kids, pets, family, or roommates. Try to keep them away while you are working so that you don’t get distracted.
- Clean your workspace: While working at home, you don’t have a janitor to make your workplace clean, which means that you will have to do it yourself. A clean workplace will help you stay focused and be more productive.
- Listen to some songs: Now you don’t have to worry about disturbing your co-worker if you want to listen to some music if that’s what keeps you motivated. You can listen to soothing music like instrumental music or nature sounds. Listening to music can keep you calm and motivated.
- Stay in the loop: Make sure that you are in contact with your co-workers. Keep up on a personal as well as professional level.
- Sleep well: Sleep well as a healthy sleep routine will keep you active and motivated throughout the day.
Things Your Work From Home Toolkit Must Have
When you have decided to make your home office, it’s the time to plan the setup. Check out our list of the 11 home office essentials that you definitely need on your work desk.
- Computer or Laptop: The most important part of the work from home toolkit is a computer. Make sure that you have a good working computer or laptop with keyboard and mouse so that you can work even at home.
- Desk: Cluttered desks, cluttered minds. A clean desk is very important to remind your brain that you are at work and to keep you motivated and active.
- Office chair: Make sure to have a chair which makes you feel comfortable while working. Comfortable and ergonomic chairs are important for work from home working mode
- WiFi: A good working WiFi is necessary for work. Make sure that you have a stable and fast working internet connection so that you can work without any delay.
- Noise-cancelling headphones with microphone: If you expect regular calls or video conferencing with your coworkers while working from home, you need a good pair of headphones with a microphone. To hear everyone properly so that you don’t miss any point and to make sure that everyone hears you properly, you absolutely need a pair of Noise Cancelling earbuds. While choosing earphones, make sure to choose a wireless one so that you can also be flexible while on a call. A smart pair of earbuds can help you get rid of any embarrassing situation. With their noise cancellation, true wireless design, and simple set up, Tranya B530 Pro are our preferred option. With these earbuds, you don’t have to worry about power shortage as they provide you a playtime of 80 hours with the charging case.
- Water bottle: Staying hydrated is important. To avoid frequent trips to the kitchen, make sure to have a water bottle by your side.
- Notepad: You can at any time need to note anything whether you are working or on a call, make sure you have a notepad on your desk.
- Pen: Keep a pen on your desk and write whenever there is a need to note down anything.
- Pen pot: You can need a pen anytime, make sure you keep it in a pen pot so it is easy for you to find it.
- Printer and scanner: If you need to print any documents, you will be needing a printer and scanner too.
- File cabinet: Store your documents in a file cabinet to prevent you from losing the important documents or the desk from becoming messy.
As it may seem, work from home is not that easy. But working from home can be empowering and even profitable, if you are aware about the pros and the cons. It is a good way to escape the daily grind but there are also some extra responsibilities like planning workflow, self-discipline, and focus.